I enjoy using quinoa to add some bulk to my meals and for a little variety. Typically quinoa must be cooked separately (similar to rice), but not in this recipe! I had some cooked and cubed chicken that I had frozen, so I literally dumped all the ingredients in a large skillet and simmered until it was done (no, I didn’t even sauté the onion and garlic like it says).
How much easier can you get for healthy “fast food”!? Oh, and I also added black beans this time because I thought it sounded good (and it was!). Here’s what the recipe looks like using drumsticks – not cubed chicken.
Skillet Chicken & Quinoa
Write a review
- 6 chicken drumsticks or breasts, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1, 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinse
- In a large skillet, add oil and turn to medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- On the chicken's second side, add onion to skillet and sauté.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through and quinoa is tender and absorbed most of the liquid, about 15 minutes.
Grace Goals and Guts http://gracegoalsandguts.com/